Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Assignment #5 JPernick

"The Continuing Fall of Federalism", an article found in The Washington Post, written by George F. Will is meant to grab the attention of Americans who are concerned with the way the senate gets elected.

The author of this article wants to inform America that Senator Feingold wants to Amend the 17th Amendment that gives the executive authority of a state the right to pick a new senator to fill an unoccupied seat. He goes on to say that if this is done, then it would change the way our forefathers wanted this country to be. This is causing a lot of controversy.

So far I haven't personally seen the 17th Amendment effect me in a bad way. I think that it is fair to let the people choose, but honestly I think another senator would probably do a good job of picking out someone new to fill the seat. I would not know who would be best to put there, so i don't see the sense in changing the Amendment.